Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Do What You Want! It's Your Wedding!

Browsing through the website Sharon likes to call The Vom, I am always astounded at the number of questions from brides asking if it's ok to have two different types of music at the wedding or if they can mix up the seating arrangement at the reception. Really? You really need to ask them for permission to have the kind of music you like at your own wedding? This drives me nuts! Now either this website likes to depict women (particularly brides) as helpless creatures who cannot think for themselves outside of an old-school ettiquette book or there really ARE women out there who genuinely feel they need someone else's permission to plan their wedding their way. Yikes! It makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

I often leave the said site baffled and wondering if the bride's questions are real. While planning my own wedding, I didn't even think about asking someone if I could let my bridesmaids pick out their own dresses. I just did. No they did not match perfectly, but I liked the mis-matched look and I'm pretty sure all of my friends were able to wear their dresses again. Something most people will never be able to say. Because let's face it: no one will ever wear a taffeta dress EVER again. Ever. But I digress.

My point is: I am all for boucing ideas off of each other and brainstorming--even asking the "ettiquette experts" the really hard questions having to do with family dynamics, etc-- but I hope people are starting to understand that there are no rules anymore when it comes to planning your wedding. You really can have whatever kind of wedding you want!

2 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

I'm not going to say etiquette is dead, because we're all fairly civilized, but I wouldn't mind ditching a ton of traditions and I'm not going to ask anyone's permission for it.

Nexus said...

::applause::